Sunday, July 26, 2015

Slow Times in Douglas County

    Shorebirds have been slowly trickling into Douglas County. We don't seem to be getting near the numbers yet (at least inland) that other counties are. I took my kayak out onto Plat I Reservoir today and saw 4 Greater Yellowlegs and 3 Least Sandpipers. There were also a dozen or so Killdeer. Do those count as shorebirds? They do? Well, we got plenty.

Greater Yellowlegs and Killdeer

Greater Yellowlegs

    Notice the barring on the flanks of the bottom bird and not on the top bird. The lighting on the top bird was a bit difficult, and in a couple of angles the bill looked quite small. I had to remind myself of some of the pertinent particulars of Greater and Lesser Yellowleg Identification.

Also, I believe that the top bird is a juvenile. You can tell it's brownish appearance, and how "groomed" it looks with feathers in the right places.

The bottom bird's barring is left over from it's breeding plumage. It's back looks grayer and raggedy, indicating feather wear and older age. 


Greater Yellowlegs:

- Longer (when compared to size of head) upturned bill
- Larger when compared side-to-side
- More prominent eye-ring
- Sometimes shows an "adam's apple" (which can be seen on the lower bird)

Lesser Yellowlegs:

- Less bulky build than Greater
- Smaller head and bill
- Can show a dark "cap" 

    There was also a Long-Billed Dowitcher near two of the Yellowlegs.
Long-Billed Dowitcher
    How do I know it's a Long-Billed Dowitcher and not a Short-Billed Dowitcher? The bird flushed and I heard it calling; its call is sharper than a short-billed. If I manage to get some pictures later in the year I will attempt to recreate what Dave Irons, Greg Gilson, and Shawneen Finnegan so expertly explained in these articles and photo galleries:

Greg Explaining a Basic Overview of Dowitcher ID:

Shawneen Explaining Aging and Tertial Markings on Juveniles:

Dave Explaining what Field Marks are Best to Check with links to excellent pictures he took:

Whew, it can be exhausting! But, it's part of the process, even when painful. Here's an easier identification from Platte I

Let's Cleanse the palate with a little Osprey before we move on, shall we?
    On a lighter note, I went up to Drew, Oregon last weekend, and tried finding some Flammulated Owls. I think I heard one, but I want to get a recording for a confirmation, so I will be going up possibly a couple of times this coming week for a listen. While I was up there, I also saw a covey of Mountain Quail and some Sooty Grouse:

Not a Great Picture, but there it is.

Sooty Grouse (Juvenile?)

It may be slow now,but I am sure the numbers will pick up soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment