Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Virginia Rail-Take Two

    A couple of weeks ago I got some poor pics of Virginia Rails on Plat I Reservoir outside of Sutherlin, OR. Today I was delighted to see that at least one bird was foraging on a small section of mudflats that I have started calling "Rail Cove."

Do YOU see ME?
    According to allaboutbirds.org, Virginia Rails are able to swim underwater using their wings for propulsion. They and other Rail species also have,"... the highest ratio of leg muscles to flight muscles of any birds" (allaboutbirds.org). Drumstick anyone?
 
    When I realized that it didn't seem to be bothered too much by my presence, I decided to capture a video.

Strong Legs = Fast Running!

    I have some more videos of the bird that I may upload later, but this is the best one. What a treat! I hadn't ever SEEN a Virginia Rail until earlier this year, and now I have gotten extended looks!

No comments:

Post a Comment